Saturday, 20 February 2010

Lazy Saturday

So, it's Saturday. And not far off from being the last one in February. Time really does fly when you're at university. It's strange. The weeks seem to just mould and melt into one long blurry stretch of time, the details of which are almost unintelligable. I like to think this has nothing to do with the copious amounts of alcohol that I consume. I know it's been bloody ages since my last update. But I couldn't be bothered half the time because my body clock is all wrong and I'm tired all the time. Not any more though.

I'm not going to give a whole "this is what I did" blog. But I'll let you all know whats been going on in brief terms.

Where to start? Probably from my last update. So, the biggest thing that has happened is probably the fact that I got my grades back both on my Perspectives essay and on my Performance Practice assessment. I'm happy to announce that I did quite well in both. For the second time in a row I received a 68% in my Perspectives essay, and whilst rather annoyed that I was so close yet so far (2%) from receiving a 1st, I was very happy with my high 2:1. However, to my delight I recieved a 76% in my Performance Practice assessment and therefore received a 1st class for my work.

This, I was very proud of.

Since then we have started new modules including Performance and Documentation and of course, Acting. Both of which I am extremely excited about. Performance and Documentation involves basically devising a performance and then documenting it, and all the while being told about the different ways in which we can document performance. In Acting we are obviously focusing upon Acting. Including Body, Voice, Movement and moving from rehearsal to performance. At the moment we're working upon a few of Alan Ayckborne's scripts as they are fairly modern and quite naturalistic. I'm pretty much enjoying this.

Whilst missing being in Essex, I am having a great time up here in Scarborough and have managed to secure a house for next year in a beautiful location just under Valley Bridge. It's lovely there and about a 10 minute walk from the beach as well as being 15 minutes from Uni and 5 from town. All in all, pretty perfect. The interior is pretty damn good as well and the garden is mahusive.

I have seen quite a few plays recently of which reviews are to be posted. Whilst being quite weird, they were all entirely watchable. Especially Hypothermia which I and friends had the chance to view in the round at the Stephen Joseph Theatre.

As well as this I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Alan Ayckborne, the most accomplished living writer there is when he gave a seminar/guest lecture thing at the University. It was basically a chat about how he approaches writing and it was really interesting to see how one of the greatest of our time goes about preparing to write his plays.

One of my new years resolutions was to learn to play guitar in order to be able to play at this years "Keys and Strings" concert in Essex, however whilst progress is good, it doesn't look as if I'll be prepared enough to do so. However, I'm really enjoying learning but have, with the help of mates from Uni, been able to train my voice slightly at Open Mic Nights here at the University.

For now that's all I can think to say, so on that note I shall let you go and sign off until next time. (Whenever that may be)

No comments: